Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WARNING: Not for the easily offended

I haven't exactly been too religious lately. I basically only discuss religion with my brother and that is simply because I can trust him not to scream down my throat when I bring up controversial issues. Most Christians have never opened their minds to other possibilities and therefore seem almost robotic as they quote scriptures and raise their hands in praise. Most atheists look at me as if I am completely uneducated and outright absurd for considering the possibility that life actually might have a purpose beyond living and dying. Yet oddly enough, I have not met a single person who claims to have a closed mind. So, I just keep my mouth shut. Search for answers without consultation of friends. Thoughts on religion and politics are best kept to myself.

A program featuring past life regression caught my eye a couple weeks ago. It began by introducing people with absurd and completely irrational fears. One woman was deathly afraid of dolls; another, corners. Then a psychotherapist began the regression process on them. The results were fascinating. Many of the people had vivid memories of past lives that actually explained the phobias. Months after the regression, some were completely cured.

Now, I grew up in the Methodist church. Though I have difficulty categorizing myself within a religion lately, I grew up a Christian, and Christians don't exactly believe in reincarnation. Although the results of the show were intriguing, I have a difficult time believing that we have lived before as completely different people. We DO, however, have a whole lot of "junk DNA" that scientists cannot explain. It's just there and something tells me it all serves a purpose. We inherit a lot of our DNA. Would it be so impossible to believe that we can inherit memories of our ancestors? (Though, waiting for any of this to be proven is total Chinese Democracy.)

That's about all the controversy that I think this blog can handle right now.

No comments: